Horn Honking Etiquette
There are a lot of rules and tips that float around involving horn honking. When you’re in budget Milwaukee car rentals, you’ll want to be sure that you are being respectful to other drivers, while remaining defensive. Before you set off on your vacation to Milwaukee this year, learn about when and how it’s appropriate to honk.
How to honk appropriately
First things first, it is never appropriate to blare your horn. Loud, long horn honks are viewed by other drivers as rude, discourteous, and an act of road rage. While it’s true that you may be more nervous driving in an unfamiliar area, irritating or upsetting other drivers will not make the overall situation any better. This can result in other drivers dissolving into road rage, which can be extremely dangerous.
A short, polite beep is all that it takes to give a friendly reminder to another driver who may be about to perform a dangerous move. This is the best way to avoid accidents in budget Milwaukee car rentals. Also, toots from your horn should be just for that – to avoid accidents. Horns were not put into budget Milwaukee car rentals in order to declare your rage. Try to remain calm, and you’ll quickly get out of the situation.
Appropriate honking situations
Below is a list of situations where you are encouraged to honk your horn to ensure safety.
- In an emergency. If you are having mechanical issues with your car, you absolutely should honk your horn to alert other drivers. This will alert them if you are unable to stop, or if there are other mishaps that may endanger them. In that case, they will either stop to provide you assistance, or get out of your way to prevent further problems.
- For safety. If a driver in front of you is cutting in too close, or performing a manoeuvre that may be dangerous you can beep your horn to alert them of your presence. You may also give a quick toot if the car in front of you has been sitting at a green light for more than 5 seconds, without any indication of driving.
- To support a cause. In situations where you drive past a march, parade, campaign, wedding, or some kind of fundraising event, you can honk your horn to show your support. Many people find honks from budget Milwaukee car rentals to be encouraging.
When it is not appropriate to honk
Below are listed some situations in which honking your horn is not okay. Unfortunately, many of these are the most common uses for horns.
- During traffic jams and gridlocked traffic. Chances are, the cars aren’t moving because they can’t move. Honking your horn at them could only cause instances of road rage, or irritation, but it certainly will not make the traffic move any faster.
- To say hello. Avoid using the horns of budget Milwaukee car rentals to say hello to another car or pedestrian you know. This will cause other drivers to think there is an issue, or else think that you’re honking at them.
- To criticize other drivers. It is not your place to alert other drivers that you dislike their driving style.
- For road rage. Honking your horn will likely only end up stressing you out more, and could force others to get road rage. This can create a dangerous situation. This is also rude, particularly in a new and unfamiliar place.
Also be aware of horn laws. Some areas have laws forbidding honking, except for in emergencies.
Follow this easy advice, and you’ll increase your courteousness to other drivers! For the most affordable budget Milwaukee car rentals, rent from Mayfair today!
This entry was posted in Car Rental Tips and tagged budget Milwaukee car rentals. Bookmark the permalink.